17.4.11

RENAISSANCE: MICHELANGELO



After we studying about Modernism, we went back to the time before Modernism, late Renaissance.

Late Renaissance period having the influence of greek and classical architecture style. This period mainly occur in Italy which there were three main artists, Michelangelo Buonarroti, Andrea Palladio, and Donato Bramante. 

David
I'd a chance to visit Italy last year which brought me to these great work of these great artists. I went to many places like Pantheon, Colosseum, inside Vatican City including St. Peter's Basilica and Sistine Chapel, and other places I can not remember. Anyway, among great works in these places, I was very fascinated by Michelangelo the most because I think Michelangelo was 'All in One' artist. I mean, he seems to have ability to do all kind of arts; he could be a sculptor, architects, and painting artist. 

From what i saw from his works, seems like Michelangelo's style show a lot of massiveness and trying to make a perfect figure of human body. For example, David, a very famous and master piece of Michelangelo, show human figure and also with feeling that express through the face. When I stand on the ground and turn my face up to see David closely, I could see muscle and all of the blood vessels from marble skin of David.

Later on, David was forced by the Pope to make paintings and architecture which we all know them well, paintings inside Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica. Here, I found that Michelangelo is a great architect and painting artist at the same time with being a great sculptor. The paintings inside Sistine Chapel is the story in the Bible which all human figure also shows strength, and a clearly human figure  such as muscles as well as blood vessels.

Anyway, there are more paintings, sculptures, and architecture that Michelangelo did. All of his work was very magnificent, suit with the word "ALL IN ONE" artist.

The view from inside St. Peter's Basilica that I took myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment